Below the video of the talk I gave at TEDxEastEnd (Society Without Borders) last October. I start with a critical analysis of current deportation policy and practice, using as an example the UKBA’s Operation Mayapple. I then point to the gap that exists between those you are deported and those you are deportable, a significant gap despite the increasing use of deportation by Western governments. A closer look at the deportation gap shows that undocumented migrants are not all equally deportable and that children, in particular, are less likely to be forcibly removed. Nonetheless, in the UK these very children are not offered concrete routes to regularisation and are stranded in legal limbo. The Obama administration‘s executive decision that has recently granted a route to regularisation to up to 800,000 young undocumented migrants offers an example of a pragmatic and long term solution beneficial to both the children and society more broadly.
Keywordsage disputing amnesty asylum big society Birmingham campaign child detention child migration children children's rights Chinese citizenship deportation destitution detention dissemination Doctors of the World DREAMers education England EU Europe European Parliament family family migration fieldwork first impressions funding healthcare human rights Human Rights Act immigration immigration control immigration enforcement immigration policies immigration policy immigration regime irregular immigration irregular migrants irregular migration Jamaica Kurdish London maternity Medical Justice migrant children migrant voices migration MRN new migrants no border Obama photo exhibition political participation racism Refugee Council refugees school system super-diversity support organisations Sweden Thomas Hammarberg Uk UK-born children to irregular parents UKBA unaccompanied minors UNCRC undocumented children undocumented migrants undocumented migration US USA welfare youth
- RT @IRiS_Birmingham: @scmrjems Special Issue: Rethinking integration featuring @japhillimore @rachel_humphris available- https://t.co/AU68G… 2 hours ago
- RT @DiscoverSoc: The Tower | @nandosigona #DS47 buff.ly/2uaQJJq https://t.co/g1BWtzecvD 7 hours ago
- RT @DavidRutz: This was quite a segment from @CNN that will be shared far and wide https://t.co/AK7dznQku5 8 hours ago
- RT @anandMenon1: Well worth a read twitter.com/stevepeers/sta… 21 hours ago
- RT @martaforesti: Overview @ODIdev work on #migration and #displacement. Thanks to great partners @phf_uk #SDC #Joffetrust and more http… 1 day ago