Today we are launching the report ‘No way out, no way in: Irregular migrant children and families in the UK’ at the House of Lords, Committee Room 1 (3.30-5pm). The list of participants is an excellent balance of politicians, academics, activists, community organisations – not enough young peole though. Look forward to the discussion. We have asked the Office of the Children’s Commissioner for England, PICUM and the Children’s Society to respond to the inputs of the report and explore some of the policy implications. On our side, we will try to encourage participants to explore the feasibility of a UK’s Dream Act – see my article on OpenDemocracy for more info on the kind of argument we will put forward. Will add more later today and tomorrow.
Keywordsage disputing amnesty asylum big society Birmingham campaign child detention child migration children children's rights Chinese citizenship deportation destitution detention dissemination Doctors of the World DREAMers education England EU Europe European Parliament family family migration fieldwork first impressions funding healthcare human rights Human Rights Act immigration immigration control immigration enforcement immigration policies immigration policy immigration regime irregular immigration irregular migrants irregular migration Jamaica Kurdish London maternity Medical Justice migrant children migrant voices migration MRN new migrants no border Obama photo exhibition political participation racism Refugee Council refugees school system super-diversity support organisations Sweden Thomas Hammarberg Uk UK-born children to irregular parents UKBA unaccompanied minors UNCRC undocumented children undocumented migrants undocumented migration US USA welfare youth
- RT @c_cerulli: #superdiversity twitter.com/nandosigona/st… 8 hours ago
- Introducing our forthcoming Special Issue on superdiversity policyandpoliticsblog.com/2017/09/27/int… via @policy_politics 8 hours ago
- RT @m_clem: My review of @PatrickKingsley's frontline introduction-by-fire to the refugee crisis onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pa… @Pop_Council #PDRj… 8 hours ago
- RT @SofiePelsmakers: Do I feel more 'certain?'. Nope. What is delaying the UK doing these things?"PM's open letter to EU citizens in UK" ht… 8 hours ago
- RT @lisaocarroll: Campaigner for EU citizens Nicolas Hatton on Today at 8.35. Just told me PM letter is sent to wrong address - it was mean… 8 hours ago