Today we are launching the report ‘No way out, no way in: Irregular migrant children and families in the UK’ at the House of Lords, Committee Room 1 (3.30-5pm). The list of participants is an excellent balance of politicians, academics, activists, community organisations – not enough young peole though. Look forward to the discussion. We have asked the Office of the Children’s Commissioner for England, PICUM and the Children’s Society to respond to the inputs of the report and explore some of the policy implications. On our side, we will try to encourage participants to explore the feasibility of a UK’s Dream Act – see my article on OpenDemocracy for more info on the kind of argument we will put forward. Will add more later today and tomorrow.
Keywordsage disputing amnesty asylum big society Birmingham campaign child detention child migration children children's rights Chinese citizenship deportation destitution detention dissemination Doctors of the World DREAMers education England EU Europe European Parliament family family migration fieldwork first impressions funding healthcare human rights Human Rights Act immigration immigration control immigration enforcement immigration policies immigration policy immigration regime irregular immigration irregular migrants irregular migration Jamaica Kurdish London maternity Medical Justice migrant children migrant voices migration MRN new migrants no border Obama photo exhibition political participation racism Refugee Council refugees school system super-diversity support organisations Sweden Thomas Hammarberg Uk UK-born children to irregular parents UKBA unaccompanied minors UNCRC undocumented children undocumented migrants undocumented migration US USA welfare youth
- RT @IRiS_Birmingham: @scmrjems Special Issue: Rethinking integration featuring @japhillimore @rachel_humphris available- https://t.co/AU68G… 2 hours ago
- RT @DiscoverSoc: The Tower | @nandosigona #DS47 buff.ly/2uaQJJq https://t.co/g1BWtzecvD 7 hours ago
- RT @DavidRutz: This was quite a segment from @CNN that will be shared far and wide https://t.co/AK7dznQku5 7 hours ago
- RT @anandMenon1: Well worth a read twitter.com/stevepeers/sta… 21 hours ago
- RT @martaforesti: Overview @ODIdev work on #migration and #displacement. Thanks to great partners @phf_uk #SDC #Joffetrust and more http… 1 day ago