A new report, Landing in Dover, by Adrian Matthews for the Children’s Commissioner for England (January 2012) reveals the existence of a so called ‘gentleman’s agreement’ operating at the south coast ports between UKBA and its French counterpart whereby an unaccompanied child who did not make an immediate asylum claim would be returned to France within 24 hours of arrival in the UK. For the Children’s Commisisoner: ‘The practice of returning children from the border in this manner conflicts with the duty to safeguard children and promote their welfare’.
Keywordsage disputing amnesty asylum big society Birmingham campaign child detention child migration children children's rights Chinese citizenship deportation destitution detention dissemination Doctors of the World DREAMers education England EU Europe European Parliament family family migration fieldwork first impressions funding healthcare human rights Human Rights Act immigration immigration control immigration enforcement immigration policies immigration policy immigration regime irregular immigration irregular migrants irregular migration Jamaica Kurdish London maternity Medical Justice migrant children migrant voices migration MRN new migrants no border Obama photo exhibition political participation racism Refugee Council refugees school system super-diversity support organisations Sweden Thomas Hammarberg Uk UK-born children to irregular parents UKBA unaccompanied minors UNCRC undocumented children undocumented migrants undocumented migration US USA welfare youth
- RT @IRiS_Birmingham: @scmrjems Special Issue: Rethinking integration featuring @japhillimore @rachel_humphris available- https://t.co/AU68G… 2 hours ago
- RT @DiscoverSoc: The Tower | @nandosigona #DS47 buff.ly/2uaQJJq https://t.co/g1BWtzecvD 8 hours ago
- RT @DavidRutz: This was quite a segment from @CNN that will be shared far and wide https://t.co/AK7dznQku5 8 hours ago
- RT @anandMenon1: Well worth a read twitter.com/stevepeers/sta… 22 hours ago
- RT @martaforesti: Overview @ODIdev work on #migration and #displacement. Thanks to great partners @phf_uk #SDC #Joffetrust and more http… 1 day ago