I use this song in my teaching on refugees and forced migration. I think it captures the sense of in-betweenness and saudade (a nostalgia for what is no longer there) that is so common among those who leave their country of origin. It is central of a refugee-centric and migrant-centric approach to try to convey the complexity and uniqueness of migrants’ individual experience as well as the similarities of these experiences; songs like this one are one of the ways to do it.
Keywordsage disputing amnesty asylum big society Birmingham campaign child detention child migration children children's rights Chinese citizenship deportation destitution detention dissemination Doctors of the World DREAMers education England EU Europe European Parliament family family migration fieldwork first impressions funding healthcare human rights Human Rights Act immigration immigration control immigration enforcement immigration policies immigration policy immigration regime irregular immigration irregular migrants irregular migration Jamaica Kurdish London maternity Medical Justice migrant children migrant voices migration MRN new migrants no border Obama photo exhibition political participation racism Refugee Council refugees school system super-diversity support organisations Sweden Thomas Hammarberg Uk UK-born children to irregular parents UKBA unaccompanied minors UNCRC undocumented children undocumented migrants undocumented migration US USA welfare youth
- RT @MigrantVoiceUK: 'wealthy buying citizenships confirm sorry truth: #migration door, closed to the poor, open to those with fortunes' htt… 18 hours ago
- RT @FerdiGiugliano: The Five Star Movement has doubts about vaccination, but their perspective leader has just attended a "miracle" in Napl… 18 hours ago
- RT @Routledge_Socio: See our Q&A with @RGGonzales1 & @nandosigona editors on new book – a must read in critical #migrationstudies https://t… 22 hours ago
- RT @UKandEU: Join @anandMenon1 @YvetteCooperMP @georgeeaton at the @UKLabour conference 'What should Labour demand from Brexit?'https://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @JFCrisp: All you wanted to know about the EU's training of the Libyan coastguard. No mention of refugee protection of course. https://t… 1 day ago